St. John had its beginning in 1851 when 20 families organized a Lutheran Church in the Ballwin, Ellisville community. It probably comes as no surprise, but even our predecessors were nonconformists! For twenty years the congregation maintained complete autonomy from any Lutheran Synod and was originally called (in English) Concordia Lutheran Church (The actual name was, “Evangelische Lutherische Eintrachts Gemeinde”). In those days the church and its school were located on Reinke Road about a mile east of the present site.
In 1871 the church relocated to Manchester Road on an acre of ground donated by a local farmer. Three years later the congregation purchased 24 more acres from Mr. Hutchinson, a visionary decision in those days. The 1871 “stucco church” served the congregation for 85 years until 1956. Its successor was razed to make room for the Next Generation Center, opened in 2007. The history of St. John has been one of constant growth and change. The present sanctuary was built in 1992 followed quickly by the Cornerstone Youth Center and a Ministry Center that houses our offices, meeting and rehearsal spaces and our Early Childhood Center.
From the beginning, the Next Generation has always been important to St. John congregation. Some of St. John’s first buildings were dedicated to teaching children the essentials of the Christian faith. We carry on that tradition through our highly accredited school, early childhood program and dynamic children's and students' ministries.